After the death of his wife , whom he dearly loved, and losing his job due to a factory closing, Lev travels to London. He leaves behind his daughter and his mother. Eventually, he finds a job working in the kitchen of an upscale restaurant and a room with an Irish landlord. Lev finds it hard to adjust to his new life. He misses his family.
Rose Tremain deftly shares the tale of a present day immigrant. She describes the pain of leaving and missing those you love and your native land and the pain of feeling out of place in a strange new country.
I didn't think this was as good as other of Rose Tremain's books that I have read.
But, I did enjoy it. She created a cast of characters that drew me in and made me care about about them. It is a page turner in a quiet way. Overall an engaging story.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment