Dragon Bones' by Murray Gunn is a delightful read. A great escape to a faraway land.
Dressed in a traditional `gho', Murray blends colourful observations of local characters, their culture, cuisine, language and etiquette, globalisation and politics, with Bhutan's breathtaking scenery to transport you right into the heart of this secretive Himalayan kingdom.
Murray has a keen eye for the quirky aspects and contradictions in Bhutan life - some that have you laughing out loud, while others remind you of your own nightmares abroad. His candid narrative as he struggles to appease a somewhat dismissive wife, together with a plethora of shockingly un-Buddhist experiences, gives powerful insight into this believed-to-be Shangri-la.
A very enjoyable glimpse into life in a country I am unlikely to visit. I rather liked the way it was written, the short glimpses of day to day life. Murray is Australian, his wife French. I was not at all surprised when their marriage didn't last. She lied to him from the start and was way too needy (when it suited her) and manipulative.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment